Friday, June 16, 2006

"Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love I'll give you all I got to give... if you say you love me..." - The Beatles

How could one ever consider him/herself as being overrated or under valued?
My boss could be reading this for all I know, but, what the heck…
Doing sales with no commission should permit me to stipulate a significantly high reimbursement in my employment contractual terms. Then again, I was too in need of a job, and too raw in the industry to be asking for anything. Consequently, I accepted the vacancy without deliberation.

My immediate superior, Mr. JW, is a nice person. He’s been patient with me and advising me about stuff. Nonetheless, the situation has adversely changed. The supervisor of the other department(s) has been giving him a tough time about me.

The benefits of the company are unfavorable. I believe many of my colleagues there are capable of all the work they’re handling, and this includes JW as well. But, the thing I’m unable to comprehend is, what made them stay in the company?

JW insist that he has plans for me and I’ll stay to see it materialize.
But I can’t stay for long if things don’t occur.

Let’s post my immediate and long term plans here.

Year 2006 (Age: 23)
Current Gross Income: SGD1400
Increment after probation phase: SGD1700 (hopefully)
But if it’s only 100 bucks, hey guess what? I exit the front door of the office.
I’ve met my friend, by coincidence, at another company doing the exact same thing. He’s, however, getting a gross wage and allowance of SGD1900. What gives?

Year 2007 (Age: 24) – Estimated Gross Income: SGD2000
Year 2008 (Age: 25) – Estimated Gross Income: SGD2500

This is the tentative short term plan.
Hopefully I’ll be able to earn SDG3k before I turn 26.

5 comments:

said...

Just dropping by.....hmmm...u have made some plans I see....

Maybe I should tell u something....I am currently paid SGD$1700 doing admin and compliance work.I must say it all depends on the company when it comes to pay and career advancement. But if you are really not happy about the job then you might want to thing about changing it. Don't force yourself if you think you are not gaining much.

I am working with AIA's District Office in Tampines. My job is to check on the documents that the agents brings in, stationery requisition, attend meetings, check on the minutes written by duty officers, come up with minutes schedule for the new agents and also for the quaterly audits by external and internal auditors, checking the new agents and new unit managers coaching time and more to come.

Remuneration here is not good either. But I am staying on to gain the experience. I am giving myself 1.5years to really learn the trade and then I will start to look for a new job by then.

All the best my dearest cousin.

Jacqueline, HuiLin said...

Take things step by step.

Learning to crawl is a MUST before one can leap or even fly.

Agree with 玲. Ultimately, everything is dependent on on the company you're slogging for.

Gain experience and ciao. Most importantly, don't settle down in a comfort zone for too long as you're still young.

A fresh environment with new colleagues and holding on to different job scope would spark off the onced enthusiastic you.

Of course, $ has always played a very important part. So...learn to nego and fight for what you deem you deserve.

I've always believed that life is full of opportunities.

This world is sooo big...you'll be able to reach out to your desired future.

Now...plans will continue as plans if there's no action.

So...All the best!

Unknown said...

hmm... means i've got to aim higher? these are the short
term-ed plans B. You, of all ppl, should know me better.

Daph, 1700? cool ar... when's your treat? call me k.

Lin, your advise is appreciated.

but ladies, i dont want to ruin my resume by stayin in a company for 3,4 or 6 mths.

i'll figure something out.

Wei said...

Not wise to post these salary details here, especially if your Boss has access to your blog.

Come to think of it, NOT WISE to let your Boss have access to your blog either. Whatever were you thinking??!!

Will, you are right to say you dun wanna ruin your resume by staying less than a year.

You had already been straightforward with your Boss, let's hope he appreciated your forthrightness, but for the time being til the rest of the year, leave it for now and take the salary increments as it comes FOR NOW.

It is now, up to you, to make him feel you are underpaid, by proving yourself, not just fulfilling your standard jobscopes, but ace-ing it given any chance.

When he feels you are a great help not to do without, hey, the increments would come double fold.

It's a great thing to see a man with a burning desire to succeed. But it's a greater thing when he knows how to get there.

No Boss likes to have their arms twisted.

Now, you focus and give your best shot til 2006 finishes.

Good luck and go get them!

Anonymous said...

My dear...
money can't buy u love, but money can buy a "temporary happiness". It's all come back on what u think is important in life,but as everybody knows,life itself is temporary...